HISK programme 2019 and 2020
Submission deadline : 30 June 2018 (postmark & online submission)
All applicants have to
1. Fill in the online application form in English
2. Send the following material to firstname.lastname@example.org via www.wetransfer.com or on CD/DVD/USB-stick p.a. Charles de Kerchovelaan 187a, 9000 Gent, Belgium
- a beamer presentation with recent work: PowerPoint or pdf / landscape format / max. 25 pages (please number the pages) / max. 65 MB.
- Each image must be accompanied by a description, max. 5 lines long, with the following info: title, material, date, additional contextualization.
- If you provide films/videos, please insert in your presentation one page per video containing a screenshot, title, date, length and a short description.
- films/videos as Quicktime films. Please provide short excerpts of max. 3 minutes of videos longer than 10 minutes
- a general work description in English (max. 1300 characters)
- a motivation of the application in English (max. 1300 characters)
- a detailed curriculum vitae in English including a list of exhibitions, grants, scholarships, awards, commissions, etc.
- a recent passport photograph
- a scan of ID card or passport
- a scan of undergraduate and/or graduate diploma
- (optional) catalogues and texts describing your artistic work
- (optional) letter(s) of recommendation. The letters of recommendation have to be signed.
- (optional) in addition to your basic presentation which counts max. 25 pages, an extra presentation, with more works
The admission committee is composed of international visiting lecturers from a variety of backgrounds. The committee makes a pre-selection from the submitted portfolios; the selected candidates are subsequently invited for an interview on their motivations and expectations. After evaluation and careful deliberation, the committee decides upon the admission of the applicant before end of July 2018.
Artists who have already obtained a Master's degree in Fine Art or an equivalent qualification are eligible to apply to the HISK. Exceptions can be made for applicants who do not have a Master's degree but whose artistic trajectory evidences a high level of development, motivation and artistic affinity.
The conceptual and visual qualities of the works submitted by the applicants are considered more important than their style, utilised material or technique. Participants are expected to show a strong commitment to conducting critical research within their respective fields of interest. At the same time, they should aim to situate their practice within a broader social and cultural context. Candidates are also expected to contribute in or to the activities of the HISK as a whole. This interaction is seen as an important forum of exchange and development.
Applicants who have not been selected can collect their documents at the HISK administration office upon the conclusion of the admission procedure. Documentation of selected candidates will be archived in the HISK records. HISK makes every effort to handle the submitted documentation with the utmost care, but can however not be held responsible for any loss or damage.
The postgraduate educational programme of the HISK is a two-year, full-time programme, which starts on 1 January 2019 and ends on 31 December 2020.
The registration fee amounts to 2000 Euros per year + a one-time deposit of 300 Euros. Health insurance is not included in the registration fee. The registration fee and the deposit are to be paid before the start of the working year.
The Higher Institute of Fine Arts offers a workspace and pedagogical guidance. There are no scholarships or residencies available. HISK does not provide housing. Living expenses are to be entirely covered by the participating artist.
Foreign participating artists are required to obtain a student visa and an official residence permit. The participating artists themselves are responsible for all the necessary administration pertaining thereto. Participating artists who come from abroad are expected to reside in Gent during the two years HISK programme.
If you want to stay informed on the call for applications and the HISK events, please write to email@example.com.