HISK programme 2021 and 2022
Submission deadline: 8 June 2020
Visual artists from all countries working with any medium are welcome to apply for the programme. Artist duos are accepted.
Artists who have already obtained a Master degree in Fine Art or an equivalent qualification are eligible to apply to the HISK. Exceptions can be made for applicants who do not have a Master degree but whose artistic trajectory evidences a high level of development, motivation and artistic affinity.
The conceptual and visual qualities of the works submitted by the applicants are considered more important than their style, utilised material or technique. Participants are expected to show a strong commitment to conducting critical research within their respective fields of interest. At the same time, they should aim to situate their practice within a broader social and cultural context.
Artists who are interested in theory, scientific research and in future development of a PhD in the arts are also welcome to apply.
The selected artists are expected to fully commit to the programme, be present and participate in the activities offered by the HISK. This interaction is seen as an important forum of exchange and development.
All applicants have to
1. Fill in the online application form in English
2. Send the following material to email@example.com via www.wetransfer.com
- a beamer presentation with recent work: PowerPoint or pdf / landscape format / max. 20 pages (the pages must be numbered) / max. 65 MB.
- Each image must be accompanied by a description, max. 5 lines long, with the following info: title, material, date, additional contextualization.
- If you provide films/videos, please insert in your presentation one page per video containing a screenshot, title, date, length and a short description.
- Please do not include your curriculum vitae, your work description or your motivation of the application in the beamer presentation. These documents must be submitted separately.
- films/videos as Quicktime films or via Vimeo links.
- a general work description in English (max. 1300 characters). Word or text file (not pdf)
- a motivation of the application in English (max. 1300 characters). Word or text file (not pdf)
- a detailed curriculum vitae in English including a list of exhibitions, grants, scholarships, awards, commissions, etc. Word or text file (not pdf)
- a recent passport photograph
- a scan of ID card or passport
- a scan of undergraduate and/or graduate diploma
- (optional) extra document with more work, more extensive work description or statement, etc.
- (optional) website, blog, etc.
- (optional) letter(s) of recommendation. The letters of recommendation have to be signed and dated.
An international jury will evaluate the applications end of June / beginning of July 2020.
The committee makes a pre-selection from the submitted portfolios. The pre-selected candidates are subsequently invited for an interview on their motivations and expectations. Skype interviews are possible. After careful deliberation, the jury makes a definitive selection. The decision of the jury is final and no reasons for the decision will be given.
Both selected and non-selected candidates will be informed before mid July 2020.
The postgraduate educational programme of the HISK is a two-year, full-time programme, which starts on 1 January 2021 and ends on 31 December 2022.
The registration fee amounts to 2000 Euros per year + a one-time deposit of 300 Euros. Health insurance is not included in the registration fee. The registration fee and the deposit are to be paid before the start of the working year.
The HISK offers a workspace and pedagogical guidance. There are no scholarships available. The HISK does not provide housing. Living expenses are to be entirely covered by the participating artist.
Foreign participating artists are required to obtain a student visa and an official residence permit. The participating artists themselves are responsible for all the necessary administration pertaining thereto. Participating artists who come from abroad are expected to reside in Ghent during the two-year HISK programme.
If you want to stay informed about future call for applications and the HISK events, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.